On June 6th, George Blumenthal was inaugurated as the 10th Chancellor of UC Santa Cruz during a ceremony on the East Field overlooking the Monterey Bay. Students and workers, organized through the Student and Worker Coalition for Justice (SWCJ) and the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees (AFSCME), rallied at UCSC, marched to the Chancellor’s Inauguration and blocked California Highway One at Mission and Bay during a 10-hour day of action to deliver a loud and clear message — end poverty wages at the University of California.
For more background information, please read:
AFSCME Strike Postponed — What’s Next?
Here are some links to photo coverage from previous AFSCME actions from the 2007 – 2008 school year at UCSC:
- Student and Worker Solidarity Kicks Off School Year at UCSC (September 27th, 2007)
- UC Workers and Students Picket in Support of AFSCME’s Contract Fight (December 6th, 2007)
- UCSC Workers Offer New Year Resolutions To Shape Up UC (January 31st, 2008)
- Students and Workers Block Road at UCSC to Protest Poverty Wages (February 28th, 2008)
- Prospective Students of Color Visit UCSC and Demand a Fair Contract for Workers (April 11th, 2008)
- UCSC Reunion Luncheon Interrupted to Demand Fair Wages for Workers (April 26th, 2008)
- UC Service Workers Announce STRIKE on June 4th and 5th (May 23rd, 2008)