I learned how to publish photos online contributing to Indymedia.
Inside the computer lab at UCSC’s Merrill College, I was using a scanner to digitize photos of papier-mâché puppets my group made for an environmental studies project.
I didn’t know what format to choose for saving my photos. An Indymedia volunteer said “.jpg”.
Immediately, I published the photos on Santa Cruz Indymedia’s open-publishing website, and have contributed thousands of photos to Indymedia since then.
My photos have been used in books, newspapers, magazines, posters, flyers, films, and more, including a textbook called History Alive! The United States Through Industrialism.
I appreciate when people ask me about using my photos, and when people let me know how the photos are being utilized.
I haven’t tried too hard over the years to keep track of where my photos end up, often without permission, however below you will find a rough listing …
- People Power of Santa Cruz County — April 2013
- The Miami Model — documentary on 2003 FTAA protests in Miami
- El Enemigo Común — documents paramilitary activity against indigenous communities in Oaxaca
- Un Poquito de Tanta Verdad (A Little Bit of So Much Truth) — documentary on 2006 uprising in Oaxaca
- Saving Private Power: The Hidden History of “The Good War” by Mickey Z.
- Nonviolent Coexistence: Moving Communities Beyond Fear, Suspicion, and the Weapons of War
- Black Flags and Windmills: Hope, Anarchy and the Common Ground Collective by Scott Crow
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- San Jose Mercury News
- Santa Cruz Sentinel
- The Progressive Magazine
- Good Times Santa Cruz
- University of California, Santa Cruz
- San Antonio Current
- Baylor College of Medicine
- San Francisco Bay View Newspaper
- The Open University (OU)
- American Friends Service Committee
- Monterey Bay News & Views
- Community Alliance of Fresno
- Bite Back
- Earth First! Journal
- Modesto Anarcho
- Third World and Native american Students Press Collective (TWANAS)
- The Project
- Disorientation Guide to UCSC
- the ILWU Dispatcher
- AFSCME and other labor unions
- Authors, musicians, non-profits, etc…
- Independent Media Center (Indymedia)
- The Intercept
- Democracy Now!
- MSNBC.com / The Rachel Maddow Show
- Minnesota Historical Society
- Free Speech Radio News
- Beehive Design Collective
- Common Ground Relief in New Orleans
- El Enemigo Común
- It’s Going Down
- People’s Vanguard of Davis
- Kaos en la Red
- Cannabis Culture
- Toke of the Town
- Free Radio Olympia
- Free Radio Santa Cruz
- Global Exchange
- Bradley Manning Support Network
- Rising Tide North America
- Santa Cruz Fruit Tree Project
- Santa Cruz Reskilling Expo
- Diversity Center / Santa Cruz Pride
- Santa Cruz Tech Beat
- 350 Santa Cruz
- Santa Cruz Patch
- Socialist Viewpoint
- Sin Barras
- Cognitive Liberty
- Radio Zapote