The 10th annual Practical Activism Conference at UC Santa Cruz, organized by students at colleges Nine, Ten and Oakes, was held on October 20, 2012, at the College Nine & College Ten Multipurpose Room. The student-led conference featured keynote speaker Angela Davis, ten workshops, various on- and off-campus organizations, performances, and a variety of hands-on activities.
In addition to Angela Davis, this year's conference featured spoken-word artist Terisa Siagatonu. Terisa, born and raised in San Francisco, graduated from UCSC's Community Studies program and also participated in Youth Speaks, the premier non-profit organization in the country targeting spoken word literacy art education for youth.
After the conference, a reception featuring College Ten Provost Helen Shapiro and current student Dylan Cureton from Richmond, Virginia, was held in the University Center to celebrate the ten year anniversary of College Ten and it's theme of social justice and community.
Workshops at Practical Activism Conference 2012:
- Citizen Journalism for Social Justice
- Education not Incarceration
- UCSC Budget Cuts and Retention
- Sustainable Agriculture
- Transgender Healthcare
- Reproductive Justice
- Psychological Disabilities: Beyond Stereotypes
- Resource Extraction
- Anti-Immigrant Legislation
- LGBT Rights Around the World
For more information, as well as coverage and advertisements from previous years, you can visit:
- Practical Activism Conference
- Keynotes from the 3rd Annual Practical Activism Conference at UC Santa Cruz
- Molotov Mouths at Practical Activism 2004
- 2007 Practical Activism Conference at UCSC featuring Angela Davis
- What is Practical Activism?
- Practical Activism: What is "activism"?