July 14th kicked off AFSCME’s five day strike at the University of California’s ten campuses and five medical centers. At UC Santa Cruz, AFSCME workers, students, workers from supporting unions, and other community members are picketing at the intersection of Bay and High at the base of campus. County buses are respecting the picket line by dropping people off at the base of campus. Some classes were held at the base of the campus and other spaces in Santa Cruz. Scabs have been hired by the UC, but AFSCME workers say as the week continues, people will start to notice declines in the quality of service and cleanliness in buildings, bathrooms, dinning halls and throughout campus.
For more information, please check out:
Facing Poverty At UC
8,500 UC Service Workers Announce Five-Day Strike to Begin on July 14
Here are links to photo coverage from some of the many previous AFSCME actions during the 2007 – 2008 school year at UCSC:
- Student and Worker Solidarity Kicks Off School Year at UCSC (September 27th, 2007)
- UC Workers and Students Picket in Support of AFSCME’s Contract Fight (December 6th, 2007)
- UCSC Workers Offer New Year Resolutions To Shape Up UC (January 31st, 2008)
- Students and Workers Block Road at UCSC to Protest Poverty Wages (February 28th, 2008)
- Prospective Students of Color Visit UCSC and Demand a Fair Contract for Workers (April 11th, 2008)
- UCSC Reunion Luncheon Interrupted to Demand Fair Wages for Workers (April 26th, 2008)
- UC Service Workers Announce STRIKE on June 4th and 5th (May 23rd, 2008)
- Workers and Students Demand a Fair Contract at George Blumenthal’s UCSC Inauguration (June 6th, 2008)
- UC Workers and Students Block California Highway 1 in Santa Cruz to Protest Poverty Wages (June 6th, 2008)
Crossposted at Indybay.org.