The UC Activist Defense Committee, along with a large network of supporters, rallied at Kerr Hall on May 24th to defend Alette Kendrick, protect free speech and fight the institutionalized racism that is the University of California. The speak out featured the impassioned voices of History Professor Dana Frank, History of Consciousness graduate student Greg Caldwell and Angela Davis, the most famous professor at UC Santa Cruz.
A highlight of the rally was getting “King George” Blumenthal, the “Acting Chancellor at UCSC” to descend from his castle and state over the bullhorn that, “fair or unfair,” UCSC has a judicial system. Students called Blumenthal out about one hypocrisy after the next, such as his statements that he can not comment on Alette’s case. On October 20th, 2006, he and David S. Kliger, the Campus Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor, sent an email to the entire campus community which condemned students using unsubstantiated claims and supported the actions of the police on October 18th, 2006.
The May 24th, 2007 rally to defend Alette was an impressive demonstration supported by students of color, UCSC’s Queer Network, anti-war and labor solidarity activists, AFSCME workers, graduate students, alumni and social justice activists from UC Davis and UC Santa Barbara. The UC Activist Defense Committee plans to kick Alette’s defense campaign into high gear with ongoing actions to defend Alette, fire Blumenthal and fight for social justice within the University of California.
The following organizations have endorsed the letter and demands of the UC Activist Defense Committee
- ACLU Slugs
- African/Black Student Alliance (A/BSA)
- Asian Pacific Islander Student Alliance (APISA)
- Colectivo Media Insurgente
- College 10 Student Senate
- UCSC Democrats
- Ethnic Studies Committee
- International Socialist Organization (ISO)
- Iranian Student Network (ISN)
- Kinetic Poetics Project
- The Long Road Collective
- Merrill College Senate
- Movement for Immigrant Rights Alliance (MIRA)
- Movimiento Estudiantil Chicana/o de Aztlán (MEChA de UCSC)
- The Network – ‘the recognized voice of UCSC’s Queer Community’
- Socialist Organizer
- Student and Worker Coalition for Justice (SWCJ)
- Students Against War (SAW)
- Student Union Assembly (SUA) – UCSC’s undergrad student government
- Third World and Native American Student Press Collective (TWANAS)
- United Auto Workers Local 2865 (T.A. union)
- Anti-Racism Committee of the National Lawyers Guild
Initial support after the arrests on October 18, 2006:
- UC Student Association (UCSA)
- UC Santa Cruz Grad Student Assoc. (GSA)
- UC Santa Barbara Associated Students
Crossposted at Indybay.org.